Friday, August 2, 2013

"Turbo" Review

It happened! It finally happened, guys! SPOILERS: Dreamworks finally made a movie without a ridiculous dance-party ending!

Film Summary: Theo dreams of becoming a famous racer. The only problem: he's a snail. But after a freak accident gives him super-snail powers that allow him to rival the speed of a Formula 1 car, he and his friends set out to take on the Indy 500.

I recently moved to a small town in Indiana for a job opportunity. Unlike my former, tourist trap of a home, there is only one movie theater in the area. And this one movie theater has only one screen.

Please take this moment to pick up your jaw off the floor.

Yes, it's hard for privileged audiences like myself to think of a movie theater with one screen that is only in business on weekends. But in a way, I found this to be a blessing in disguise. Not only was the ticket price a mere four dollars (go ahead and pick up your jaw again), but it also gave me the opportunity to see a movie I probably would not have picked out from the array of blockbusters that are out now. The Wolverine and The Conjuring would have been the highest contenders for my money and reviewing purposes. Yet, the only option I had to satisfy my cinematic craving was a movie about a little snail who wanted to be a racer.

Like I said, Turbo would not have been my first pick to spend my money on. The concept of a creature that is famous for its slow speed living in the fast lane is quite clever, the trailer failed to really peek my interest enough, so I was quick to write it off as a "wait until you can rent it" flick. Yet, after sitting down and watching it in that small theater packed with kids and adults alike, I was reminded that you should never judge a movie by its trailer.

From the very beginning of the film, the creators manage to hook the audience into the big world of Theo, or Turbo as he likes to call himself. We are intrigued by his unusual interests, invested by his passion and determination, and heartbroken by the obstacles he has to face. He's a character with heart and a familiar drive that we are able to personally recognize, but that doesn't mean he is perfect. Then again, who is? He can be cocky at times, which tends to be the main problem with almost every role Ryan Reynolds is given, but thankfully not to the point where he comes off as unlikable. He also has a habit of putting himself and his needs before that of his rule-abiding brother (voiced by Paul Giamatti). They're relationship from the very beginning is the clichéd "I love you, but I need to follow my dream" vs. "I'm saying you can't do what you want to because I don't want you to get hurt" dilemma. The writers managed to play it off in a very refreshing way, however. Yes, the two brothers share different opinions on a snail racing, but you can see through the way they interact with each other that both sides never reach an extreme point that many movies tend to resort to. The pacing of their growing understanding for one another is timed out very well, as is the pacing for everything else in the movie. The snails siblings are also given two human guardians about halfway through the film that parallel each other and help their struggles become a little more relatable.

While I can’t say the animation was anything groundbreaking, I do believe Turbo’s strength can be found in its characters and story. The underdog principle holds strong as I found myself really caring about the characters’ goals and even cheering when they find success. The writers even managed to provide solid recurring jokes that never failed to produce a laugh.

Turbo ended up being quite a refreshing Hollywood gem; a movie you believed would be just another mediocre flop that turned out to be incredibly entertaining. While it does fall to many clichés found in beloved underdog tales, it still remains a thrilling ride that will make you laugh and keep you on the edge of your seat.

And did I mention there wasn’t an out-of-place dance party at the end of the movie???


FINAL VERDICT: It’s worth the ticket price! Treat yourself to a family night at the movies.

No comments:

Post a Comment